Who has cleaned out their entire house and got their lives organized for the New Year???? I’m a half hand up kinda girl. I took all of my Christmas decorations down, cleaned out my fridge, and did a half deep clean. Once all of that was done, it was the best feeling to have everything put together and a fresh home. I think that we have figured out by now that I don’t really care to have it all together all the time, but I am going to make some movements to make it seem like I do.
The first thing people are going to notice when they walk into your house is the smell. Lighting my candle is my GO TO, but a few other ways to get your house smelling so fresh and so clean clean are…
- Open your windows – I know this sounds CRAZY. But my favorite thing to do is to open my windows on a cool crisp day. I am allllll about getting fresh air in and that stale air out. Depending on the temperature outside, depends on how long I leave my windows open. Obviously you don’t want to do this when it’s August and 500 degrees outside, but I will open my windows twice a week as long as the sun is shining in January, even if it’s 40 degrees.
- Oil Diffusers – I recently got a small oil diffuser as a gift and I’m obsessed. It’s not one of those electric ones, but it has a wick and slowly puts out the essential oils in the air. I used to be a big fan of wall plugins but the hippie in me found out that they have so many toxins and chemicals and I’m not about that life. Overall I think that oil diffusers have the cleanest and most pure smells. And other benefits that you’ll need to ask all my oily mama friends about because they know way more than me.
- Room Spray – Mrs. Meyers makes a pretty yummy room spray that I try not to use too often, but will break it out about twice a month. There are others obviously that can help brighten up any room.
- Candles – Obviously you can go ahead and light a candle. But I think there is a lot of debate on how great candles are for us. You want to stick with a soy or coconut wax based candle as they burn much cleaner. I’m a HUGE fan of Capri Blue and Voluspa candles. In my book they can do no wrong and all of their scents are amazing (no one tell me otherwise and also buy them for my birthday. K. Thanks.). Overall, I try to do some research when picking out candles because I find that the ones that aren’t AS clean for you, typically are too strong and just kill my vibe. *side note… candles are the best gifts to stock up on in case you have a last minute birthday or random celebration and don’t have time to run out to the store.
- Plants or Fresh Flowers – I love having fresh flowers in my house. They look pretty, and their fresh scent sometimes is all you need. Luckily Trader Joe’s has some pretty cheap flowers all the time. But I have read that living plants inside your home and really great for neutralizing odors and producing oxygen… However, I can’t keep a plant alive so IDK.
I don’t suggest doing these all at the same time, as it might be overwhelming and do the opposite of what you’re trying to achieve. But it’s really not that hard, friends! No need to clean your baseboards every time your friends are coming over!!